Friday, August 12, 2011

Pillowcase Dress

Pillowcase dresses have been around FOREVER!  I absolutely think they are adorable.  There are so many tutorials out for them that I do not think there is anything that I can add to them.  This is one tutorial that looked really easy and explained well.  Here is another that looked pretty easy. 

This is the quick run down of how I do it, no patters, just sew :)

I just cut the fabric wide enough and long enough in two rectanges. 
Cut out smalll areas for the arms.  You need less armhole than you think. 
Then Hem the bottom of the dress.  At this time is when I add any embelishments I want to the bottom of the dress. 
I connect the two rectanges with a straight stitch and a zig zag to secure it.
Add the biased tape to the armholes (or just hem it up, biased tape makes them look better).
Hem up around the top of the dress.. allowing about an inch opening in order to be able to thread the ribbon through.
Thread the ribbon through, cut any excess strings and wear :)  OH!  Use a lighter quickly on the tips of the ribbons to keep them from fraying.


On this one I sewed three ribbons together for the top so it would have extra color.  It was easy and the top matches the bottom.  I also only used one ribbon making one bow.

This is the first dress I made Alison.  I used two ribbons at the top, and she has two bows, one on each shoulder. 


Be creative with these.  I think the accents really make the dresses adorable.  Google Pillowcase Dresses and you will get plenty ideas! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment