Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Diaper and Wipes Clutch Bag

I absolutely LOVE these!  They are perfect for putting your little one's necessities in your purse or diaper bag and only having to grab what you need when you are going into the bathroom to change the baby.  I did not come up with this idea, but this is a tutorial of how I make them.  I think they are great for gifts or to make for yourself.

You will need two pieces of fabric that are cut to 10"x25".  I made this one a lttle wider than some.  It would probably fit plenty diapers or a change of clotes.  You could make them a little less wide, but I would not make them any shorter.  I have two different fabrics for the inside and outside, but you could use one for both.  You will also need one piece of interfacing.

You will also need a ribbon cut to 22" (again you can judge the length of this depending on you opinion), a hairtie that matches the fabric and a cooridinating button.

Iron on your interfacing to the wrong side of the piece of fabric that you plan to go on the outside of the case.

I then folded the fabric in half width wise.  On one end I placed a pin 4.5 inches down and 2.5 inches in.  This will make the taper for your flap.

Cut the fabric straight from each pin.

Now put your right sides together of your two pieces of fabric.  Pin up the side of the flap (not the very top) and across the very bottom.  Sew together where you pinned, using a straight stitch and back stitching.

Turn it rightside out, and this is what it will look like.

Now bring up the bottom so the inside of the bag is on the outside and pin down the sides.  You fold it up to the bottom of where your flap. 

DO NOT FORGET YOUR HANDLE.  I used ribbon for this one butyou could alsomake your on handle out of coordinating fabric.  I pinned it a little further in that way I wouldnt have to take out the pin while sewing, it gives me a little more stability.  When sewing double stitch over the handle a few times to give it added security.

I did a straight stitch and then a zig zag next to it.  This way it would be secure and not fray as much.  I trimmed off all of the extra fabric to make it look cleaner.

Turn your bag rightside out and this is what you have.  Your almost done :)

Remember we left the top of the flap open, go ahead and fold it in.  You might iron it in too if it does not want to stay folded in.  My stayed pretty well so I did not iron.

Fold your hairtie in half and slide it in the opening.  Pin it down so it will not move around.  I folded my flap in half so I could find the middle in order to know where to put the hairtie.

Pin the rest of the opening.

Sew it together with a topstitch, and make sure to go over your hairtie a few times to make it secure.

I topstitched around the whole flap to make it uniform, but you can do it how you think looks best.

Now its time for the Button.  Fold your clutch in half to find the middle and then see about where the hairtie will fall so you can put your button there.  Mark with a pin.  You will want your elastic to stretch some, if it does not stretch you will have trouble with the clutch opening on its own.

And your done!!  Isnt it cute?!?!

You have plenty of room for your wipes case (I will do that tutorial later) diaper, creams and maybe even an extra shirt or onesie.  Whatever you might need to grap and go to change the baby.  Much better than having to dig through a bag or purse to find it all while the baby is there getting messier and messier.

As you can see it all fits in there with plenty of room.  This one is large, like I said before, so decide how wide you want it to be and adjust from there.  Be creative and enjoy!

I will add pictures as I make more :-)  Pictures give me lots of ideas!
This one was actually made out of lycra material.  You can use most any material for these clutches and wipes cases!

I reall liked how this one came together.  I had a small piece of fabric so it was limited to make a whole one.  As you see you can be as creative as you like and still have a beautiful clutch.  I thought the rhinestones gave this one just a bit more.  The material could have gone for eiter a boy or girl, but I likd the purple with it best.  Also, the purple is a linen material, and the polka dots is a cotton.  Since the linen is heavier I did not use any interfacing and it stays together just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment