Monday, August 8, 2011

Onesie Double Skirt

With a new little girl coming I decided I wanted to make some girly baby clothes.  I did not use a pattern for this, I just had looked at two different tutorials.  They made different skirts, but I used the ideas they had on here and there to put this one together. 

You will need a onsie, Coordinating fabric, ribbon and thread.

Measure down to see how long you want your skirt to be.  I marked with a pin where I would sew the skirt, and knew I would want it to be about 7" long, so I decided to cut the fabric 8" to allow for seam allowances.

Measure the waist of the onesie... This one was 20", since I wanted a ruffled skirt, I doubled that to 40".  One tip I did get from multiple blogs was to use a onesie that was a little loser instead of a tight one.  That way it would be easier to get on and off the baby.  If you use one that is tight, it will not have much give when putting it on. 

I cut two pieces that are 8"x20".  I wanted a double layer skirt, which is why I cut two.  You could easily modify this tutorial to make it a single layer.

I ironed the pieces and folded over where I was going to hem.  I find it much easier to hem when it has been ironed, then from pinning.

I did a double straight stitch on the hems.  I find this gives the item a bit more of a finished look.

Once the pieces are hemmed, stitch them together by placing wrong sides together.  Do the same to both.

With the onesie right side out, place the first skirt upside down, inside out around the onsie. You will pin, a lot, that way you have a nice ruffle.  I started by pinning in the middle on the frong and the back (where I put the seam of the skirt).  Then I pinned on the side seams.  I went through by findin the middle of each of the pins in order to keep my ruffles even and consistant.  I found putting a book in the middle of the onesie kept me from pinning the front to the back.

I sewed using a tight zig zag stitch.  The other blogs mentioned that the zig zag stitch would give the dress a bit more give, but a staight stitch would be more secure.  I figured that since this was for a really little one (onesie size 3-6) I could compromise a bit f security.  I sewed right over my pins.  I never do this because it makes me nervous and I hate replacing needles.  But I wantedmy ruffle to be perfect :-)

Now with the onesie right side out and the first layer pulled straight up, start pinning the second layer onto the dress.  Have it also be right side up.  Pin your ruffle as I explained above and also use the zig zag stitch.

This is what you will now have.  Its starting to look cute!

Since we want it extra cute, I started pinning again to put a nice ruffle on top of the skirt.  Pin the same as explained above.

This time I wanted it to be secure, so I used a straight stitch.  Don't forget to back stitch to make it secure.  I did this on all seams.  I also, again, sewed right over my pins to make sure my ruffle worked.  Make sure you double check your seam that you have all of our pins out.. squeeze, pinch andtouch using your fingers.  You would much rather feel it on your fingers than have a little one feel it.

To me the dress needed just a little bit more finishing, so I cut a ribbon to attach aound the waist.  I started by stitching it on the back seam. 

Then around the body I hand stitched s the ribbon wouldnt slip up or down.

I made a hairbow using this tutorial. 

Clip the hairbow onto the ribbon...

Your DONE!!  The hairbow can stay cliped on the ribbon until the little girl outgrows the onesie and then used as a hairclip.

No comments:

Post a Comment