Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Decorated Wipes Case

We love to have pretty stuff for the baby.  There is no sense in having an ulgy wipes case with all the other pretty things we buy.  Instead of spending too much on a wipes case, make your own :)  Now there are tutorials all over the web for these.  This is how I make mine, I did not invent them, just have made quite a few and have learned what looks best for me.
This is what you will need... One huggies travel case (the have different brands, and I have tried them, huggies seems to work the best).  Two pieces of fabric cut 6"x9.5" (this is a little large b/c if it has a pattern on it you want to be able to move it around and put it on as you need.  Plus you want to be able to pull and tighten the fabric as needed.  Two pices of quilting binding cut a little smaller than the fabric. I usually just put the wipes case on it and trim around,.  And Rick Rack (not sure this is what it is called) tape.  You can get this at most fabric stores.  The color variety is not very good, but you can find it.  Get creative with what you use as a border.  I tried ribbon but will not dothat again b/c when hot glueing it on it looked terrible.  Maybe there is a trick to the ribbon, but I have not found it.

Heat up your hot glue gun.  I try to line up the batting with the back, straight side of the case.  Apply a small amount of glue at a time, if you apply to much it will harden before you attach it.  Do this to both sides. 

Once it is all glued down (it doesnt take tons of glue, just enough to keep it from moving) trim the excess batting... I just use scissors and trim around the top.  It does not have to be perfect, but if you make it neat it helps.

Now its time to glue the fabric.  I start on the back straight side again.  I will put a 1" spot of glue in the center and attach the fabric.  I try to line it up so I do not have too much excesstht needs trimed, you will have some around it, so dont worry.  If you have a pattern then center the pattern how you want it and then glue it down.  Slowly work down the back and finish glueing it.  Do not glue the corners.  Doing those last makes it look much nicer.

 Now glue the front (curved) side of the wipes case.  Do it as you did the back, but pull the fabric tightly.

After the front is done, do one side at a time.  Again, leaving the corners open.  Once Everything else is glued, glue one corner at atime, pulling tightly to make it look smooth.

This is what it will look like.  Use an exacto knife to trim off all the excess fabric.  Once you have it trimmed repeat glueing on the other side.  I find doing one side of fabric at a time is easier, less to fabric to move around.  I save all my excess fabric.  I can use those for something later, I am sure :)

Once both sides are done it will look like this.  Do not worry if your cutting with the knife isnt perfect, you will cover it up.  Also, make sure you open the case periodically or you might just glue it closed.

Now its time for the rick rack tape binding.  Pick out a color that compliments the fabric.  Start on the back, straight side, and slowly glue about an inch at a time.  Try to keep it as straigh as you can.  Line up the inside edge with the opening of the wipes case.  Pull it snug, but dont pull too hard.  Slowly go around the whole case.  Glue it until it matches up in the back again, cut it and start out again.  I did not meaure the amount that I used, I just losely wrapped it around the case twice and that was how much I cut off.

This is what the front of the case will look like.
Admire your finished product!  Be creative.  Before you put the rick rack on add a ribbon across the top.  Or iron on an aplique to the fabric, or even crystals.  Whatever you can imagine you can do.  You can use all types of fabrics for this too.  Pretty much whatever you want to make it out of you can.  Let your imagination determine what you will do :)

I will add pictures as I make more :-)  Pictures give me lots of ideas!
This one was actually made out of lycra material.  You can use most any material for these clutches and wipes cases!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment