Thursday, July 21, 2011

Paper Wall Dots

So Alison's bathroom has stayed pretty bare for the past year.  I wasnt motivated to do much with it when we first moved in, then we decided to have another baby and I didnt want to make it too girly just in case we had a boy.  Well daughter #2 is on the way, so its time to girl up her bathroom.  I had bought this shower curtain last year, and figured I would do something to go with it.  However, I did not want to spend too much money, knowing that either her or I will decide we want something different in the near future.
Since I am cheap, I decided to use some boxes that I picked up from the post office.  I found different sized round objects and traced three of each size (I used three sizes) onto the cardboard.  I then used a box cutting knife to cut them out. 


After cutting the circles out I used electric tape to cover the edges.  This way you would not see the cardboard from behind the paper when it was hanging on the wall.  I thought about painting it but realize you would still notice it waas cardboard underneigh, electrical tape was the perfect solution.


I then traced the circles onto the wrong side of the scrapbook paper.  Remember that each cirlce will be slightly different because you cut them out with the knife.  It will be easier to trace each circle individually that way the paper fits each circle perfectly.  I then used Modge Podge to attach the scrapbook paper to the cardboard.  Then I put 2-3 layers of it on top of the scrapbook paper to seal it.  This is very important since I put it in the bathroom.

This is the finished product.  I wasnt sure how to hang them so it would not show, so I thought I would try to use the hanging wall puddy.. worked perfectly.  I put a couple pieces on each large dot and one on the small ones.  Stuck it up on the wall and her bathroom is feeling finished.  It does bother me some that the circles are not perfect, but I am ok with it.  If I were to do it again I would probably try to find a way to make them more accurate, but sometimes I think its a kids room/bathroom it is ok for things not to be perfect, it gives it personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment