Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Applique Onesie

So I decided that I wanted to spruce up some of the white onesies before the baby is born.  I am making this one for someone else, but it is my absolute first attempt at making an applique and attaching it to fabric.  So even though I am thrilled with the results, it is by no means perfect.  I am happy with its results though!
I traced a circle onto interfacing into the size of circle that I wanted.

The baby's name starts with "B" so I also made a template for a B and traced it onto the interfacing. 
***WARNING***  Pay attention to what direction the interfacing is and what direction the letter will be on the fabric.  I did not pay attention to this so my B was backwards.

I ironed the interfacing onto the wrong side of the fabric.  As you can see my B is in the correct direction, but since its on the wrong side of the fabric it was backwards.  I was able to trim the B down so it looked allright, but it would have been better had I done it right the first time.  After ironing the interfacing down cut the design out on the lines that were drawn on the interfacing.  I used an exacto knife to get the inside of the B.

Find the center of the circle to help you know where to place the letter on the inside of the circle.  Do this by folding it in half twice, and putting a pin in the middle of it.

You have found your center.

Find the center of your B and pin it on.

Use a tight zigzag stitch to attach the B to the Circle...

After outlining the B, attach the entire applique to the onesie. 

Using the same ZigZag stitch attach the circle to the onesie.  I found it easier to put the excess onesie up around the arm of the sewing machine.. it gave me a flatter surface to work on.

Trim strings and your done.  I actually restitched around the B b/c it looked lighter than the circle around it.  I thought it gave it a more uniform look.

This is a closeup of it.  Like I said, it is not perfect, but I was happy for my first time. It can only get better frmo here.  And I think I chose something hard since its all circles.

No comments:

Post a Comment